Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Communicating through art

After reading Seth's Blog post, With A Sure Hand I began thinking again about how visual art is a way of showing something that you don't have words for; a feeling; a way of knowing something, and your choice of materials is part of your way of expressing it. I understand why artists (me included) sometimes have difficulty explaining their work.
embroidery work in progress


The embroidery work I am currently working on is a way for me to explore the feeling of comfort that I get from textiles - the feel, the texture, the lines, and the process of creating a fiber piece. I am working on a variety of pieces and with some of them I am using minimal colors with lots of texture created with repetition of the same stitch. I am also using vintage cotton and new natural cotton washed to be softer. I am hoping that the feeling of comfort that I get from the process and materials translates to a feeling of comfort for the viewer.

5 comments:

  1. Your work is fascinating, and what you wrote reminds me of a Picasso quote I just came across, "Everyone wants to understand art. Why not try to understand the songs of a bird? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment - I like that quote and it completely applies!
      I just looked at your blog and love the art journal work : )

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, your stitches are FABULOUS and I imagine very soothing doing them. THANK YOU for sharing this post on Twitter. I've subscribed to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dale - thank you for the comments : )
      yes, very very soothing - I'm considering working on a queen size sheet next :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...